Mul-ti-pass!: The Fifth Element

Choosing this movie was easy. There have been movies that I have deliberately not told certain individuals I haven't seen because they'd freak out. The Fifth Element has been the movie I haven't told my in-laws about because it is Hubbs's father's ABSOLUTE FAVORITE MOVIE OF ALL TIME, OMG.


Seriously, he loves it. So I was prepared for something a bit ridiculous and full of action. I was not disappointed.


We start off in Egypt, in the early 20th century. We're told of a rare event, in which Light and Dark forces face off for the fate of the universe. The weapon of this event is something created when Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water are combined with a fifth element. Flash forward to the distant future, where the universe is on the brink of war between the evil and divine. A being of divinity is created in a lab, where she breaks out, and jumps off of the skyscraper into the taxi of a former military officer.


The ex-officer can't refuse (because of course), and they go on an amazing adventure together, fighting aliens, an evil black sun, and Gary Oldman with an insane haircut.


The first thing I really noticed about this film was that the audience needs to really pay attention to everything going on in the film. Thank goodness Hubbs was on hand to explain what was going on. Once I got caught up to speed with what was going on, I thought that the movie was quite good. While I'm not really a fan of Bruce Willis, he did a great job, and was a good choice for the role. Chris Tucker was hilarious, and Gary Oldman was indistinguishable from his character (as always). The operatic hip hop in the middle provided by "Diva" was awesome.


The only criticisms I really have for the film is that it seems so standard for a 90's scifi action film. The plot was pretty predictable, and the fact that Leeloo and Korben end up together is just too cliche. The addition of Leeloo in the bandages and her willingness to change clothes without warning is just begging for attention.



Aside from that, I thought that the movie was interesting and an original take on the standard "shoot 'em up" adventure movie.


And so far? It's been...


Until next time, everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'll Make Him an Offer He Can't Refuse: The Godfather

Candygram For Mongo: Blazing Saddles