I'll Make Him an Offer He Can't Refuse: The Godfather

It seems only right that I make my return to blogging with one of the biggest film franchises. The first in this trilogy was the highest grossing film in 1972, and for a while was the top grossing film ever made.

I'm talking, of course, about The Godfather.



Ubiquitous to film culture, and being so highly regarded, I knew this would be an interesting adventure.

The film begins with the wedding of the daughter of an aging mob boss. A drug lord soon comes to ask the protection of the family, of which Don Corleone wants no part. After attempts on Don Corleone's life, the five crime families of the city break out into a war. He loses a son, and sends the other into hiding. In an attempt to end the feud, Don Corleone accepts the drugs' move into the city. His second son, Michael, returns to the city, and takes his father's place as the Don of the family, which sets more events in place.


Like I said, I knew I was in for something special, but I wasn't aware of what a gem of cinema this was going to be. It's incredibly beautiful. Every angle seemed planned so precisely, and was so well balanced and subject matter was well distributed in the frame. It was worth it just to watch it for the beauty of the thing.



Let's get to the story. It was well written, and the actors were phenomenal in conveying the personalities of their characters. The plot was well thought out, and the characters were relatable, as humans. They were neither exclusively good or bad, but doing the best in the situations they were in. Ya know... mostly.



I also wish that there were subtitles during the scenes in Italian, but I realize they were meant to not necessarily be understood by the audience.

As a first time viewer, I thought that it was an engrossing film. Only after viewing it I realized it was a three hour venture; it certainly did not feel that way. The way the movie draws you in, makes you look at the actions of the characters and truly care about them and the trials they face, makes the time fly. It was amazing to see things that reoccur in other, newer movies that are obviously in reference to The Godfather (Maybe not reference. Homage?). I loved how it seemed to have a nostalgic feel to how it dealt with the "simplicity" of crime before drugs, and how drugs influenced the family and the story line in the end. With the way this ended, I felt like this could be a standalone movie, but I'm interested to see how they continue the story line.

So taking all of this into consideration, I thoroughly enjoyed it, and will be watching Parts II and III in the near future. It's like the movie was saying something...


Pretty much, yeah.

Until next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mul-ti-pass!: The Fifth Element

Candygram For Mongo: Blazing Saddles