Candygram For Mongo: Blazing Saddles

Full disclosure: It was not conveyed to me that the next movie was satirical, comedic, or directed by Mel Brooks. With all of this in mind, my thoughts on the movie reflect this, and so does my post.

Reader also beware: offensive material ahead. Proceed at your own discretion.


The next episode in our adventure is the infamous Blazing Saddles. Let's get started, shall we?


The movie takes place in the old west, and begins with a scheming Attorney named Hedley Lamarr hiring thugs to force the residents out of their town to make way for a new railroad, killing their sheriff and trashing the town. The townspeople petition the governor (played by Mel Brooks) for a new sheriff. He obliges, and sends the all-white (all surnamed Johnson) citizens of Rock Ridge a former railroad worker who was on death row. Who also happens to be African-American (*gasp*). It devolves from there.


Nowhere is it explained that this is supposed to be satirical. I admit I was busy making popcorn during the opening credits, and didn't see Mel Brooks' name in the credits. Hubbs hadn't seen it either, so we were both in for quite an... "interesting" hour and a half.

For me, this movie was a massive cringe-fest. It was so painful to watch that even the few parts that weren't over-the-top offensive weren't in the least bit enjoyable.

I understand *now* that this was supposed to be satirical and make people think about why, in seemingly all the westerns ever made, anyone who wasn't white was a villain, a background character, or not represented at all. The foundation of the West was built on people of all nationalities attempting to better their lives and settling a wild and untamed land. It's no secret that old Hollywood whitewashed (and "Americanized", leaving out immigrants) the hell out of their version of the West. It's no secret that whitewashing is STILL an issue in the American film industry.


I also understand that it calls attention to the corruption and idiots in government, the way women are valued only for their bodies, and how money and corporations are seemingly more valuable than the lives of the common person. All of these are important and worth exploring, and still relevant to our society.



However, this blog is, in part, about first impressions, and my first impression was not positive, nor was it to immediately to wax philosophically on satire, culture, racism, and history. I still am not entirely sure how the film has lasted, truthfully, aside from reputation and understanding as satire.

Readers, I am still reeling from the jaw-dropping moments of "did he just say what I think he said?!" that are so frequent in this film that I am not sure how I even feel about this movie. Did it get me to think? Yes. Is that a positive thing? Absolutely.

Was all the blatant racism, sexism, homophobia, and idiocy worth the watch, and would I watch it again?



That is a solid, and resounding "no".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mul-ti-pass!: The Fifth Element

I'll Make Him an Offer He Can't Refuse: The Godfather